Non Destructive Testing (NDT) on Boats
Non-destructive testing (NDT) methods are powerful and non-invasive techniques to determine the integrity of a component or structure of a boat and to discover flaws without causing any damage. NDT methods do not harm, stress or destroy the material being inspected. Because of this, NDT is a highly valuable and state-of-the-art technique that saves both time and costs in inspection and evaluation of boat structures and components.
NDT inspections can be made during the building process of a vessel, pre-delivery, pre-purchase, routine surveys, damage inspection or as a part of post-repair inspections.
Some NDT services we carry out regularly are as follows:
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT) of Composite Boats and Spars
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT) of Shafts, Bolts, Hull Plates and other Boat Components
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT) of Welds
- Corrosion Measurement of Hull Plates with Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
- Percussion Testing
- Penetrant Testing (PT) of Boat Components – in particular of Standing Rigging and Spars
- Moisture Content (Osmosis) Evaluation
- Thermographic Inspections
- Corrosion Potential Inspections
- Gloss Measurement of Surface Coatings like Paints and of Gelcoat